Tuesday, February 23, 2016

EBOOK vs. REALBOOK

"The problem with e-books are that they are e-books" was probably my favorite quote from the article. Just thinking of the pros and cons of E-books I found this buzzfeed article that shares a lot of opinions about the pros and cons of e-books. 

Ebooks vs Realbooks

Here are a couple of quotes from random people who are sharing their opinion about books and my responses to them.

Alanna Okun: I’m pretty platform agnostic, as it were, but I do feel like that kind of thinking is pretty reductive and head-in-the-sand — it’s almost like saying the internet is a fad. Like, “I don’t understand this so it probably doesn’t matter.”


I don't think Ebooks can be compared to the internet. Firstly, because Ebooks would be replacing something we already have, books; while the internet was a new invention. Could Ebooks be a fad? Maybe? but maybe not. I think that its really up to personally preference than fad. Although, if I were to guess, I think majority of the people right now would choose to read a real book over an Ebook. But maybe not in a couple of years, when the kindle/ebook continue to advance and imitate a paper book feel. I have no idea how a kindle would imitate a book feel, but then again I wouldn't of guess the functions of an iphone 10 years back. 


But if I had to imagine something, it probably would be somewhat like this product?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHSdObeUdxI

Krystie: When I turned 21, my aunt and godmother gave me an old, tattered copy of a green hardcover book from 1921. The content of the book wasn’t all that interesting to me — it was about how to grow wildflowers or something like that, and I don’t even garden — but there was a handwritten note on the front page. It was a note from an aunt to her niece on her birthday, and it was just by chance that my aunt found the old used book on a cart at her local library. It was really special to me and has such a huge sentimental value that no e-reader could * ever * give me or recycle for someone else. #BooksForPresents


Krystie makes a great point. Do you think that passing down an old kindle will ever become sentimental? My guess probably not, because imagining myself passing down my first itouch from 2007 probably doesn't hold any meaning now or in 10 years. Its just an old piece of metal shaped together. 


Isaac: I feel like words on paper is one of our most simple and basic technologies. Nothing beats the written word for getting your point across. And while e-readers are convenient, books are each their own thing, with their own specific story and soul. So while there is definitely room on your bookshelf for an e-reader, there will always be books too. Think of them as portals. Is it cool to have device that can hold 1,000 portals? Of course. But when you hold one specific portal, it feels more important. More special. More a part of you.


Isaac pretty much sums up my feelings for ebooks and real books in this quote. Both are pretty cool, but paper books will always be more special. 




No comments:

Post a Comment