Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Printed books are here to stay

Every night before going to bed, my mom or dad would lay in bed with me and read me a bedtime story or two. It was a ritual we both looked forward to and something I hope to do with my own children one day. As a Millennial and growing up in the digital age, I fear that this routine will become a digitalized commodity. Although I argued in my post last week that newspapers are dying and digital media will reign - I don't believe this to be true when it comes to books. Fifteen years ago, Jack Romanos, the Simon & Schuster president, stated "the e-book revolution will have an impact on the book industry as great as the paperback revolution in the 60's." I do not disagree fully with Romanos - yes, the e-book revolution did change the book industry, however its effects have not overcome the power of the printed book just yet.

According to this Huffington Post article, research has shown how print book is preferred among readers over digital. One study that caught my eye in particular was that "students don't connect emotionally with on-screen texts." The stories are not as immersive and intimate when read off a screen. This hit a cord with me because I agree that reading something physical, particularly a novel that can create such an emotional experience, has greater value than when reading it off a screen. It reminded me of the days when I would read stories with my parents before bed - there were connections, non-verbal communications, interpersonal moments that go along with picking out the book from the shelf, holding it up, flipping the page, and so on.  

Furthermore, this made me think of Prof. Chyi's theory on digital media being an inferior good in relation to print media. Although I stand by my argument from last week, in regards to story books and novels I think an actual print/hard copy is more of a luxury good and experience than reading it digitally. Reading something off your ipad/kindle does have its perks but in the long run, I hope books continue to be printed and are here to stay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment