Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Future generations will be different, all bets on digital media.

I agree with the Ramen Noodle Theory in some aspects. Currently, online news is the inferior good when compared to print newspapers. However, aside from the current statistics, I truly believe we all know that eventually the print newspaper will die. Young children today do not read physical text as my generation did and as Iris's generation did. We were conditioned to believe that there is value in reading and collecting physical text. In fact, most families in my neighborhood had small libraries in for their children. That is no longer the case in homes for new families. Every type of text, including online media, is easily accessible for children on their iPads and Kindles.

As we discussed last week in class, children are being pushed to use e-readers through out their education. I have participated in focus groups that have tested future textbooks. Future generation will create a dependence on technology that will eventually cause an end to the Ramen Noodle Theory. I may be one of the few that find the theory to be hard to swallow. I am biased because I believe that as technology progresses our habits as a society will change.

I believe that print is not the steak of news media. Many print news publishers are no longer around. Print media is a bubble that has lived a very long life and will continue too for the next two decades, but change will come and this bubble will pop. No one has effectively disrupted the power of print media, but I'm sure silicon valley will create something soon. The pros within Business week's article are growing and the con's will be less relevant to future generations. It is not necessary for publishers to change their ways and adapt now because many in my generation will still be inclined to pick print over digital.

1 comment:

  1. Also, I found the last paragraph from this Harvard Political Review, http://harvardpolitics.com/covers/future-print-newspapers-struggle-survive-age-technology, to be very profound. The technology must not only adapt as I stated in my post but the traditional journalism model must also change. Perhaps some individuals in my generation still read print because they prefer rigid structure compared that to the news flow on Facebook or Twitter. Ideally, as technology evolves, the features and benefits of print that allow it to be the "steak" will be present in digital media.

    ReplyDelete