Monday, March 21, 2016

Putting my Foot Down

I will be the absolute first to say that I do not believe that elementary school and middle school students should not have any sort of technological devices in the classroom while they are learning. I fundamentally agree with Rotella’s insinuation that money spent on technological developments should be given to teachers instead! If tablets are given to every 5th grader in America, for example, the role of the teacher becomes diminished—they simply become a moderator.

Growing up, I went to a private elementary and middle school where no technology, essentially, was allowed. I had a computer class for an hour a day where I learned to type, and that was it. If the students had free time in computer class, we were allowed to play educational games for 45 minutes—enough screen time for us to be content. Every single class was taught and based off a whiteboard, a textbook, and one teacher. And let me tell you, my classmates and I were definitely some of the best and the brightest when we were funneled into the public school system for high school. I think that had we been given tablets, we would not have paid attention to anything we were being taught. Tablets and having devout students who are going to respond well to them is idealistic. What a great idea in theory! The article sets out some good information as to what the tablets will be able to do for teachers and students, but I just don’t think the ideas are realistic. If the tablet is set to monitor and track students feedback and help the teacher provide customized learning, tell me just exactly how is a teacher going to facilitate three different groups of students all learning at different levels? I think inequality in the classroom, based on which group a student is placed in, is an extremely real possibility that should not be perpetuated or acceptable due to a technological gadget.

As a college student today, I realize that I use my laptop every single day and in every class. I find it easier for me to type my notes and look up something on Google if I don’t know the definition to a word. However, the fundamental building blocks of education that I was taught back in elementary school, without a tablet, are already there. I am able to efficiently use technology to my advantage and am able to separate myself from the screen because I did not grow up learning from one. I don’t think that children should solely rely on technology to learn; I don’t think they’d be able to do anything for themselves. And if the job of our generation is to make the world slightly better for the next generation to come, we’d be doing the children of tomorrow a disservice by allowing technology to be the dominant force in the classroom.



No comments:

Post a Comment