Monday, March 28, 2016

Crap

 In Robert Capps’ article, The Good Enough Revolution: When Cheap and Simple Is Just Fine, Capps’ article can be summed by his use of the word “crapification.

Based on Capps’ use of the word I created my own definition:

Crap•i•fi•ca•tion

verb
The process of producing “lower-quality” goods and services in order to meet high levels of convenience for the consumer.

The consequence of such a process is known as what Capps calls “the mp3 effect.” Basically, we as consumers have a different idea of what “high-quality” means to us. The question isn’t which product is better, but which product is easier? This is probably best exemplified by my love for instant chocolate cake mixes.

If you were to find the best chocolate cake recipe on Pinterest, use fresh ingredients from your own Austin urban farm, make it from scratch and asked me whether I liked your cake or a Great Value instant chocolate cake– I’d crush your little DIY heart.

Now it’s not that I have bad taste (maybe I do) or that your cake wasn’t delicious. I just love instant cake mix for two reasons:
           
1)    It’s so easy to make that even my mom can make it and not to be rude (I love you mom), but my mom isn’t exactly a whiz in the kitchen. So when she did make my favorite sweet treat it was always quick and delicious.
2)    It’s cheap as hell. This came in super clutch when begging my mom for it at the grocery store. We didn’t grow up poor by any means, but we were definitely working to make ends meet.

So I am a victim of the mp3 effect. I prefer the lower-quality chocolate cake because it’s what I grew up on; therefore I’ve built a preference for it and it was/is convenient for my mom and I to make.

Like Capps’ said this kind of trend started as a result of a souring economy. Sure you’ll always have the few who will pay more money for a better product, but when you’re limited financially all you really need is something that fits your budget and honestly that really is “good enough.”  

So, where is the line, in which quality trumps convenience? Is it independent to the consumer? More importantly, is there any hope of saving my affinity towards instant chocolate cakes? Perhaps, but most likely not.

No comments:

Post a Comment